StopNCII.org is a free global tool that helps prevent the distribution of non-consensual intimate images (NCII) across various online platforms. It is a victim-centric approach that seeks to communicate the wrongs and harms of image-based abuse to the broader community while putting the power back into the hands of the victim.
How it works
StopNCII.org works by creating hashes (digital fingerprints) of selected images directly on the device, which is the only file shared with StopNCII.org and participating companies. StopNCII.org does not download the images from the device and collects minimal data to run the service to help protect privacy.
To use StopNCII.org:
- Go to StopNCII.org and create an account.
- Select the intimate image(s)/video(s) you want hashed from your device.
- StopNCII.org will generate a digital fingerprint, called a ‘hash’ on your device for each piece of content. Only the hash is sent to StopNCII.org, the associated image or video remains on your device and is not uploaded.
- Participating companies will look for matches to the hash and remove any matches within their system(s) if it violates their intimate image abuse policy.
- StopNCII.org will periodically continue to look for fingerprint matches on participating websites.
- If your case is created successfully, you will receive a case number to check your case status.
- You may use your case number to check the progress on your case at any time or withdraw it.
Who can use StopNCII.org?
StopNCII.org is for anyone who is in the image and is 18 or older at the time the image was taken.
What are the limitations of StopNCII.org?
StopNCII.org uses image matching technologies that have been widely used by the tech industry to detect exact matches of previously known violating content from being reshared to prevent harm on their platforms. However, if an image is edited or altered in any way, the hash may not match and the image may not be detected.
- StopNCII.org is operated by the Revenge Porn Helpline at SWGfL and was developed in partnership with Meta.
- Currently, companies which receive cases are Instagram and Facebook.
- If you are under 18 in the images you wish you hash, you can use a similar tool operated by NCMEC, called Take it down.
How StopNCII.org can help you
If someone is threatening to share your intimate images, StopNCII.org can help you take control of the situation. By using StopNCII.org, you can help protect yourself and prevent the distribution of your intimate images without your consent.
Here are some additional tips for staying safe:
- Be careful about who you share your intimate images with.
- Keep your social media accounts private.
- Be aware of the risks of sexting.
- If you see an intimate image of yourself online that you did not share, report it to the platform immediately.
You are not alone. There are people who can help you. If you have been a victim of NCII abuse, please reach out to a victim support organization for help and support.